logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

mpr90
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2017 5:18:14 AM(UTC)
mpr90

Groups: Registered
United States

Within the last couple of months, Netflix no longer works on the Amazon FireTV device when my router is set up to use the UnblockTV US DNS server. If I revert to my ISP's DNS, then Netflix works fine.

On a desktop PC in Chrome, Netflix works either way, regardless of whether the DNS is set to the ISP or UnblockTV. On my Android phone, it seems work either way, like the PC.

Needless to say, switching the DNS back and forth is not a good solution! I'm hoping someone can explain what is going on please.
acevpn
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2017 1:53:26 PM(UTC)
Acevpn

Groups: Team Acevpn

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 122 post(s)
Netflix is bypassing DNS for certain traffic. Unfortunately, it will not work with your Fire TV.
mpr90
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2017 6:06:21 PM(UTC)
mpr90

Groups: Registered
United States

OK, thanks. To be clearer though, I live in the US and have a US Netflix account, so I do not need to use UnblockTV to watch Netflix. The problem is that my US Netflix used to work even when UnblockTV was enabled and no longer does. So, I cannot leave UnblockTV enabled for other non-US services - I have to keep enabling/disabling depending on the service I'm watching.

What's really required (I think) is to not route Netflix DNS requests through the UnblockTV VPS servers when the country of origin (i.e. US) matches the country of the account (also US, in this case).

Couldn't this type of local-to-local DNS requests not be intercepted by the UnblockTV system?
acevpn
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2017 6:09:06 PM(UTC)
Acevpn

Groups: Team Acevpn

Was thanked: 124 time(s) in 122 post(s)
If you have a router that supports dnsmasq like DD-WRT, Tomato, etc. I can suggest a workaround. Can you email support (at) acevpn.com referring this thread?